Saturday, April 4, 2009

Jim Ryun's Response to Runner's World

As many in the running world know by now, Runner's World ran what could best be described as a hatchet piece on dad's old coach, Bob Timmons. Ben Paynter's piece was unbalanced, unfair and in the end, as poor a piece of journalism as what could hope for from Runner's World. I know I am not alone in asking, "What in the world was Runner's World thinking publishing an article like that?"
Dad recently submitted a response to Runner's World which I have already posted on Letsrun.com's message board (one of my favorite sites to go to multiple times a day). However, I thought it would be appropriate to post it here as well.
Here is dad's response in its entirety . I edited it slightly to correct the error in Cliff Cushman's event-400m hurdles versus 400m.

"As I read the recent Runner’s World story on Coach Timmons, I was struck by the courage Coach Timmons displayed in allowing the writer to interview him during one of the most vulnerable times in his life. Some who have dementia don’t go out in public let alone allow themselves to be interviewed by someone who clearly had another motive than to record Coach’s outstanding accomplishments. Typical of Timmie, he made himself available to someone who obviously lacks a mature understanding of one man’s gift to the world of track and field. Coach is to be commended for his willingness to be interviewed in his home with Pat by his side.
I lived through many of the years referenced in the Runner’s World article. I recall one summer when I lived with the Timmons family in their Lawrence, KS farmhouse in order to train for the 1964 Olympics. They welcomed me as a member of their family. I treasure the nearly 50 years that I’ve known the Timmons family as a student athlete and now as lifelong friends. Timmie and Pat are grandparents to our children, great grandparents to our grandchildren and Godparents to our son, Ned. We have celebrated many holidays and family events together. Yes, there were those who didn’t “make it” under the Timmon’s program, but the larger number of us did, and became not just better athletes, but more importantly, better human beings.
Cliff Cushman, a KU great, silver medalist in the 400 meter hurdles in the 1960 Rome Olympics once wrote, “Unless your reach exceeds your grasp, how will you know what you can achieve?” Coach believed in this principle and applied it daily to our workouts. He wanted the best for each of his athletes, and while he wanted them to win in their individual event, he was more concerned about the character and well-being of the athlete.
While the writer attempted to capture the Timmon’s years by allowing athletes to tell their story, he failed to make some very important points. First, he selectively chose the athletes who did not enjoy all the success they’d hoped for in Timmie’s program (with the exception of Steve Heffernan). Where are the quotes from guys like Bill Lundberg, George Mason and others who had great success under the Timmon’s system? A coach, any coach, has a particular philosophy that has given him success. I thought Coach executed his program extremely well. Secondly, an athlete has a choice as to what program he will submit himself to. Simply said, it is the athlete’s choice to remain with a certain program or leave it
I will readily admit that the training loads were challenging, but no one gets to the top of his event without overcoming many obstacles. I was a boy who was cut from my church baseball team who Timmie turned into a world record holder and three-time Olympian. Coach Timmons was in the business of helping each athlete reach his full potential. I know it pained him when someone dropped out of his program. What is not mentioned by the writer is that Timmie anguished over those athletes who didn’t make it.
I submit to the readers of this poorly written article, that there is another side to the story of Coach Timmons. After retirement from KU, Coach gave his time to coach junior high track and volleyball as well as encourage those around him to continue to set goals in life. All those that come in contact with Coach and Pat are never the same- the love, kindness, encouragement and sincerity they exude are attributes I have always strived to emulate and examples I have set before my children and grandchildren. I wish Coach all the best in these latter years of his life. I am saddened the writer of the article does not appreciate Coach Timmons and the sacrifices he and his family made for his athletes. He is and will always be loved and respected by a whole host of former athletes, their families and his fellow coaches throughout the Big 8 (now the Big 12).


Jim Ryun
United States Olympian (1964, ’68 & ’72)"

No comments:

Post a Comment